Welcome
Welcome to weatherby

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

WBY Belgian FN1954 SN 301x South Gate

Discuss general Weatherby topics here.

WBY Belgian FN1954 SN 301x South Gate

Postby moadoc » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:24 pm

New Member here looking for infomation! I just picked up a Weatherby pre-Mark V in 270 Wby Mag with Buehler rings and mounts, Weatherby Imperial "6x62" scope with original rubber caps. FN (Made in Belgium) receiver, barrel and bolt have matching 4-digit serial number 301x. Numerous proofs on receiver, stamped "FN (in oval) 1954" on right side (below serial number) and block (not italicized) "WEATHERBY" over "SOUTH GATE, CALIF." on left side. Barrel has "WEATHERBY" over "270 MAGNUM" on left side and "CHROME BORE" on right side. Push-feed 2-lug bolt has blued swept handle (with proof stamp) and electro-penciled serial number underneath. Looks all original except what may be a Jaeger trigger (can't see the "J", and it has an "M" stamped on it). Beautiful light walnut figured stock with skip-line (I think) checkering, rosewood forend, rosewood grip cap (with diamond inlay), Weatherby pad all with white-line spacers. Finish on stock appears original, crinkling present (I think that's what you'd call it) from dry storage (?). Very shiny bore looks new through my borescope, slight hint of copper residue near the throat.

So, am I correct in assessment that this is a "pre-Mark V" Weatherby made sometime in the mid-50's (from the date on the FN action)? Were custom trigger groups the norm, or is this ater-market? Any thoughts from the above on a general value? Any thoughts to guide this novice as to collectability?
moadoc

Re: WBY Belgian FN1954 SN 301x South Gate

Postby westhunt22 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:53 pm

moadoc wrote:New Member here looking for infomation! I just picked up a Weatherby pre-Mark V in 270 Wby Mag with Buehler rings and mounts, Weatherby Imperial "6x62" scope with original rubber caps. FN (Made in Belgium) receiver, barrel and bolt have matching 4-digit serial number 301x. Numerous proofs on receiver, stamped "FN (in oval) 1954" on right side (below serial number) and block (not italicized) "WEATHERBY" over "SOUTH GATE, CALIF." on left side. Barrel has "WEATHERBY" over "270 MAGNUM" on left side and "CHROME BORE" on right side. Push-feed 2-lug bolt has blued swept handle (with proof stamp) and electro-penciled serial number underneath. Looks all original except what may be a Jaeger trigger (can't see the "J", and it has an "M" stamped on it). Beautiful light walnut figured stock with skip-line (I think) checkering, rosewood forend, rosewood grip cap (with diamond inlay), Weatherby pad all with white-line spacers. Finish on stock appears original, crinkling present (I think that's what you'd call it) from dry storage (?). Very shiny bore looks new through my borescope, slight hint of copper residue near the throat.

So, am I correct in assessment that this is a "pre-Mark V" Weatherby made sometime in the mid-50's (from the date on the FN action)? Were custom trigger groups the norm, or is this ater-market? Any thoughts from the above on a general value? Any thoughts to guide this novice as to collectability?

Sounds like an original Weatherby "Southgate" rifle, made in late 1954, or early 1955. (The receiver date of 1954 would be the year the receiver was made by FN, so it's likely the actual Weatherby assembly was done in 1955). All the stampings and other descriptions are correct for that rifle. The barrel was made by Weatherby, and chrome lined by them. The letter "M" on the trigger could indicate it is a Mashburn trigger, which is also one of the triggers Weatherby used in the 50's.
Your rifle is very collectible. If the barrel is 26" rather than 24", that would add extra value. The scope is a Weatherby Imperial, made for Weatherby by Hertel & Reuss in W. Germany. Value is dependent on condition of stock, bluing, figuring of the wood (i.e. the "grade" of the wood). I wouldn't guess the value, therefore. Keep an eye on the internet, and you'll find an occasional rifle that is comparable, which should give you a feel for value. But you have a nice collectible Weatherby. Congratulations.
westhunt22

Re: WBY Belgian FN1954 SN 301x South Gate

Postby moadoc » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Thank you, westhunt22, I am very pleased to have discovered this rifle! Barrel is 24" but bluing is easily over 90%. The 'crinkling' on the stock finish is the only flaw I have found. Stock is highly figured and checkering is sharp, seems as though this was a 'safe queen' for a long while. Wish I could post a photo...will try but I'm not a whiz at this stuff. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
moadoc

Return to Weatherby