Welcome
Welcome to weatherby

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Pre Mark V 270 mag

Discuss general Weatherby topics here.

Pre Mark V 270 mag

Postby tiedyecamo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:00 pm

I need some help....

I have a pre Mark V 270 Weatherby Mag, SN#14608 with Paul Jaeger QD scope mount. Gun is very nice, but has been hunting, 98% finish. Stock is more like 90-95% depending on how you feel about a screw cap missing on the side. I think this means it has been restocked at some point? But is Weatherby Southgate California stock. I have never seen as many proofing marks on a barrel or action: x with star over (inspector mark, Reignier Alfred worked 1939-64), PV with lion over(smokeless powder proof use ended 1959), E over LG over star all in circle with crown (Liege Belgian Proof House), the scope mount partially covers a long Fabrique National de Belgique, barrel has Chrome Vanadium Steel and made in Belgium, Weatherby over 270 Maganum (but a 270 CAL mark is in between),and beautiful FN scrolled on top. Scope mount marked Paul Jaeger- Jenkintown, PA and I assume is of the same era. It also has what I think is an original sling.

Can anyone tell me more?

is this 7mm Belgian FN Mauser action and barrel, re-bored to 270 CAL then 270 MAG

How rare is the quick release scope mount (heard of 20yrs of use without re-sighting with same model)

the SN# is pre-Mark V I think mid to late 1950's (I'm not willing to pay to find out, was told '49-'63)

relationship between Jaeger and Weatherby (Paul Jaeger is considered best German Gunsmith in US, Weatherby used a lot of German components)

Should I glass case it or replace the stock???
ImageImageImage
tiedyecamo

Re: Pre Mark V 270 mag

Postby westhunt22 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:48 pm

This rifle appears to be a Mauser action rifle made and proofed in Belgium, and with a barrel that is chambered in 270 WM. Unless the receiver has Weatherby stampings (Weatherby, Southgate, Calif), I do not believe it is a pre-Mark V Weatherby. The serial number is beyond the range of numbers I have seen. (Serial numbers in the 10,000 range are the largest I know of, and they were on rifles made in 1957-58, just prior to the Mark V being introduced. There are always exceptions, so if there are Weatherby stampings on the receiver, please show pictures of those.
westhunt22

Postby tiedyecamo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:15 pm

The scope mount covers the proofs on the receiver. Only a few of the same Belgian proofs show as well as the SN stamped on the receiver and bolt. The bolt also has lion o/PV proof. So the receiver and all is Belgian. The only other proofs are the WEATHERBY 270 MAGNUM stamped over the 270 Cal, and the Paul Jaeger on the scope mount. The stock is Made in USA South Gate CA, but doesn't have the ebony fore end. There are also mounts for peep sights but no rear sight. Thanks
tiedyecamo

Postby westhunt22 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 pm

tiedyecamo wrote:The scope mount covers the proofs on the receiver. Only a few of the same Belgian proofs show as well as the SN stamped on the receiver and bolt. The bolt also has lion o/PV proof. So the receiver and all is Belgian. The only other proofs are the WEATHERBY 270 MAGNUM stamped over the 270 Cal, and the Paul Jaeger on the scope mount. The stock is Made in USA South Gate CA, but doesn't have the ebony fore end. There are also mounts for peep sights but no rear sight. Thanks

With all those proof marks and that serial number, and without Weatherby stamped on the receiver, it could be a "conversion rifle". That's a rifle that Weatherby made using a customer-supplied action, rather than one of their own.
westhunt22

Return to Weatherby