Welcome
Welcome to weatherby

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

MARK XXII Semi Auto

Discuss general Weatherby topics here.

MARK XXII Semi Auto

Postby Monotak » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 pm

So I have just inherited a XXII Semi Auto made in Japan. Unfortunately there were no clips/magazines with it. I was wondering if anyone had a lead on where replacements could be found. Also I was wondering the production year of the gun. Its Serial number is N61768. Any info would be great.
Monotak

Re: MARK XXII Semi Auto

Postby westhunt22 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:02 am

Manufactured by Nikko Arms in 1979.
westhunt22

Postby XXII17 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:38 pm

FYI, I'm a little late to reply but just signed up. I've owned two of these rifles and a good friend owned one. All three of these rifles blew brass and powder out the action when it was apparantly not fully closed yet would still fire. The stocks on two of them cracked the full length and were destroyed. It's a little hard on the eyes also. Wear your shooting glasses at all times and clean weapon about every 3rd shoot.
XXII17

Postby cacheshier » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:59 pm

I have one of those as well and it is also a Japanese made rifle with serial N58xxx. In fact it was my very first Weatherby. It was given to me by my father when I was about 10-12 years old. It was and still is one of my favorite rifles. There is absolutely no telling how many thousands of rounds have been put through it in the last 30 years. I have shot this rifle more than any other gun I have ever owned and I have never had any problems whatsoever with it. A few jams or misfires along the way, sure, but not even very many of those at all. I am not advocating you do the same, but I have never felt the need to wear any glasses when firing it and I have never once experienced anything coming out of the action other than an empty case. BTW I found a guy on one of the gun auction sites a year or two ago that had a whole bunch of factory magazines for Mark XXIIs. I bought a couple off of him then and I recall him saying that he had a lot more. I don't remember his name but I know that he is or at least was a gun dealer/gunsmith in Bowie, TX. The town only has about 5,000 folks so there can't be that many gun dealer/gunsmiths there. I suspect a little research could lead you to that gentleman if you are still hunting for original mags.
cacheshier

Postby Hunter7042 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 am

I have owned two Weatherby Mark XXII .22 and both have this same problem. After about 2-3 clips of ammo through it - the rifle starts to miss fire. I can see on the .22 cartridge that the firing pin hit the cartridge (there is a mark). Still, it fails to fire
At first I thought it was just the cheap ammo I was using. However, I have tried several brands and the same result. The solution of course is to spray gun scrubber or a cleaning solution into the firing chamber. Then the rifle will fire for another clip or two before it starts misfiring again.
I know the .22 ammo is a very dirty powder that sticks to just about anything. However, I have never had this problem with any of my other .22 rifles (many brands).
My frustration is as expensive as this rifle is and the quality put it to it - that this is a persistent problem. It kind of dampers the enjoyment of the rifle and I am reluctant on taking it to the gun range and will select another .22 that I know will be problem free.
Anyone know a solution?
Hunter7042

Postby dukeofhenly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:50 am

Have the opportunity to buy a Mark XXII semi automatic Serial number J-40517, however magazine box, manual are missing. Not sure whether it works at all. From when is it and how much could it be worth? Does anyone know where I can find a manual and a suitable magazine, which works and how much it may be? Thanks in advance
dukeofhenly

Return to Weatherby