Welcome
Welcome to weatherby

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

I inherited a beautiful, old Weatherby rifle. Want info.

Discuss general Weatherby topics here.

I inherited a beautiful, old Weatherby rifle. Want info.

Postby tw200 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 pm

My grandmother gave me one of my grandfathers Weatherby rifles after his death. I know nothing about firearms but would at least like to know what I was given. I contacted Weatherby for the info but they want $50 to $100 which I'm not interested in doing, call me cheap.
The serial number is 10203 and from that I'm pretty sure it was manufactured in 1958 in South Gate, CA (South Gate, Calif is stamped on the barrel).
It's a .243 caliber which is stamped on the barrel.
The rifle is also in pristine condition with a Weatherby Variable 2X to 7X scope.
Here's what I'd like to know:
Original cost and date of purchase.
Rifles specs. (I probably won't know what they mean but I'd like to know anyways)
Model Name/Number. I've seen Varmint Master, Mark V and Lazermark in my searches. Which one, if any, do I have?
Rifles worth. Now I'm sure no one can tell me this info without seeing the rifle but a ballpark guess would help me determine if I need to call the carrier of my homeowners policy.
Rifle pics here. http://photobucket.com/weatherbyrifle
tw200

This forum is a little disappointing.

Postby tw200 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:05 pm

WOW, this is a slow forum. No replies to my post in almost 48 hours. You would think, at least I did, that a website called Weatherby Collectors Assc. would be run by people that are Weatherby collectors and/or are very knowledgeable on Weatherby products. Apparently not. I see other posts that are over a month old and have zero replies. I posted this same info on Weatheby Nation and had two replies within an hour or so and one of them very informative. Good luck to your website, you're going to need it.
tw200

Re: I inherited a beautiful, old Weatherby rifle. Want info.

Postby round nose » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:00 pm

Sorry for the lack of replies to your questions....seems like everyone is busy doing other things during this summer season. We really are a user friendly bunch,just side tracked during this time of year. You have a uncommon rifle and may I say collectable Southgate Weatherby. I am in the concrete business so typing is not my strong point. If you PM me your phone number I will be glad to answer any and all questions you have. I have one just like your rifle in my collection. Again,we will help you as best we can----Mark
round nose

Postby Hillbilly Man » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Dear tw 200:
Some forums are just that way. Make use of it for what it is. I just joined a short while ago, also; and was uneasy about the responses. I got some good info - in due time. My two used Weatherbys are from 1961 - I understand from the serial numbers. I got the schedule of production dates from the Weatherby site, as I recall. Your rifle appears to be a Mark V and in such excellent condition as to be worth $ 1,500 or more. The scope probably another $200 to $300. They appear to be desirable to a collector, especially at such a low number. How has the bluing held up? I have a Phone number for a person at Weatherby who is good about answering reasonable questions. If you need it let me know.
Hillbilly Man

Postby watercam » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:40 am

UH, perhaps I am wrong but it looks more like an original Weatherby built upon an FN action. I have one about the same vintage that was given to me by it's original owner. Yours looks pristine! Probably still worth $1500 or so, I have seen prices for the fixed power scopes in the $500 range. Check www.gunbroker.com. Go to rifles-bolt action-weatherby southgate. There are always a few on the auction block.
By all means get to know your rifle. Mine is a .300 Weatherby Magnum that shoots superbly (even with the pencil-thin barrel). Yours is a caliber that is easy on the shoulder if you ever want to shoot it.
watercam

Postby westhunt22 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Your rifle is a Southgate with an FN Supreme action, made in 1958. It is not a Mark V. Original cost and date of purchase are only available through Weatherby -- the WCA does not have that information. Without seeing the rifle, I can only give an approximate value -- and $1500 is about right. The scope is a Weatherby Imperial, worth about $250 in pristine shape. I've seen rifles people described as "near mint" or pristine that are actually 90% guns, and I've seen some described as in good condition that are 99%. So the description is subjective.
westhunt22

Return to Weatherby